The conference aimed to
- encourage exchanges of experiences among education policy makers of six countries in transition (Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan); and
- facilitate dialogue between government authorities and representatives of civil society and development cooperation agencies.
At the end of the conference, participants
- familiarized themselves with the education reform processes undertaken in the six participating countries;
- learned and exposed good practices in particular reform areas, such as curriculum development, teacher education, textbook production, budgeting, management decentralization, public-private partnerships, etc.; and
- identified initiatives to enhance education cooperation among the participating countries.
Reports and recommendations to the conference of four technical working groups on
- finance, and
Invited participants included
- a 4-member government delegation from each participating country;
- local NGOs and other education authorities; and
- major development cooperation partners.
- Heads of government delegations will deliver a statement on the status of education reforms in their respective countries.
- ADB staff and consultants will introduce thematic Issues Papers.